How to Apply for Child-Only Cash Assistance (TANF)
When a child is placed in your home by the Department of Child Safety, your food and other expenses will increase. It is possible that the child placed with you will be eligible for Cash Assistance monthly benefits through the Family Assistance Administration (FAA). This is money you can use to help pay for food and other expenses of having the child in your home. The benefit is approximately $164 per month for the first child and increases somewhat with each additional child who is placed with you (approximately $220 per month for 2 children, approximately $278 per month for 3 children, approximately $335 per month for 4 children, etc.). It is your responsibility to apply for these benefits by filling out the application and then give the application to your DCS Specialist.
To apply for Cash Assistance, you must complete the form "Application for Benefits" (FA-001). Your DCS Specialist can provide you with the form, you can have it mailed/emailed to you by the Statewide Kinship Policy Coordinator, 602-255-2628 or you can search “Application for Benefits” in the DES Document Center.
Only apply for Cash Assistance on the FA-001 (not medical or nutrition assistance) just for the children placed with you by DCS. You are Person 1 on page 3 and must complete the "Personal Information." Answer all question areas with a "$" over it. Person 2 is another person in your household (you must record ALL persons living in your home). Under "Personal Information" for the DCS-placed children, write the child's relationship to you and also under "Other;" check the box and write "unlicensed foster care." Request cash assistance for the placed children ONLY, not for any other children.
Give the completed forms to your DCS Specialist who will complete the submission process. DO NOT give the forms to FAA yourself. After you have given the completed forms to your DCS Specialist and the DCS Specialist has emailed the forms to FAA, FAA will contact you within 5 days for the interview.
If you have any questions about completingprocess call, the Kinship Policy Specialist at 602-255-2628. If you want to check the status of your application, call FAA's customer service line at 1-855-432-7587 during business hours.
Community Kinship Resources
Benevilla Family Resource Center
16752 N. Greasewood St.
Surprise AZ 85378
(Serving families in the NW Valley)
- Kinship support groups in Surprise, Peoria, Glendale, Wickenburg, and Wittmann
- Family Support Coordination - Home visitation program
- Community resource and referral
- Help completing HealtheAZ applications
- Lending library (books and videos)
- Play groups for caregivers/children 0-5
- Emergency diaper bank
- Educational workshops
- Family fun events
10000 N. 31st Ave, Suite D200
Phoenix AZ 85051
- Grandparent/Kinship support groups in Phoenix, Mesa, Ahwatukee, Goodyear
- Educational workshops
- Social activities for "Grand families"
- Benefit and legal guidance
- Respite assistance
- Guardianship clinics
FAMILY INVOLVEMENT CENTER
Parent Assistance Center
5333 N. 7th St., Ste. A-100
Phoenix AZ 85014
Betty Hurtado/Zira Franks
(602) 288-0155 / (877) 568-8468
- Relatives as parents/caregivers support group
- Services in English and Spanish/child care provided
- Information and referral
- Assistance/advocacy with child-serving agencies
- Youth development and support services
- State-wide support line
- Parent empowerment, education, skills and training
CHILD CRISIS ARIZONA
170 W. University Dr.
Mesa AZ 85201
Jeff Fulkerson (Kinship Connections)
(480) 834-9424, ext. 4590
- Kinship support group
- Relatives as Parents class (adult)
- Parenting skills training
- Anger management for the family
- Children's self-development classes
- Parent workshops (diverse subjects)
- Community resource referral
Arizona's Children Association: Kinship Support Services (AKSS)
3636 N. Central Ave, Ste 200
Phoenix AZ 85012
Maricopa County 480-748-9269
Pima County 520-323-4476
Ask for a Navigator
- Resources referrals
- Support groups for caregivers and youth in english and spanish (childcare provided)
- Caregiver education
- Legal services, support and referral
- Foster licensing/adoption support
- Navigation and advocacy
Financial Resources for Kinship Foster Caregivers
Kin often tell DCS to send all the children to them, that they will "find a way" to make it work. You need and deserve financial assistance for the children who are placed with you. Below is a listing of potential sources of financial assistance.
Personal and Clothing Allowance also known as Daily Allowance:
This is a reimbursement check sent to you at the end of each month for each child placed with you through DCS. The amount you get is based upon the age of the child (0-12 months is $78.90 per month, 1-2 years is $44.40, 3-5 is $18.90, 6-11 is $33.60, 12 and up is $52.80). You will get a "CHILDS billing statement" in the mail. You must verify the dates the child was in your home by rewriting the number of days below the original number. Then, sign and date the statement, and mail the white copy to Payment Processing. The address should be on your billing statement.
"Child-Only" Cash Assistance (TANF):
This is the main source of financial assistance for unlicensed relatives or unlicensed non-relatives. Do not go to a Family Assistance Administration (FAA) office to submit the paperwork. You should apply for this benefit for each child placed in your home with the help of your DCS Specialist. Complete the Applications for Benefits form and give it to your DCS Specialist. Within 5 days of receiving your application, FAA will contact you for an interview. An eligibility determination will be made for each child. A letter will be sent to you saying that each child is approved for or denied benefits. You will receive $164 per month for one approved child, $220 for two children, $278 for three children, $335 for four children, $392 for five children, $449 for six children, $506 for seven children. Benefits are paid through an EBT card which is "loaded" each month.
Kinship Stipend Program:
This program is available to all kinship families who have children placed in their care by DCS. The benefit is $75 per month per child. You do not need to apply for this program. It will be included on your "CHILDS Billing Statement" you receive every month.
This is available to kinship caregivers who are caring for children in diapers, under the age of three. Ask your DCS Specialist about receiving the allowance. The allowance is up to $62.50 per month. If the child you are caring for is still in diapers over the age of three then the diaper allowance can continue with medical documentation and DCS approval.
Foster Parent Licensing:
You may be ineligible for licensure or you may choose not to pursue getting a foster home license. It will depend on what is right for your family. As a licensed foster family you would be subject to the same licensing standards as are regular family foster home, there are some non-safety standards may be waived in order to promote kin licensure. Licensed foster homes receive approximately $600 per month per child in foster care maintenance payments. For more information about becoming licensed contact the Home Recruitment Response Specialist at 1-877-543-7633.
Auxiliary Payment and Special Allowances/Supplemental Financial Supports:
- Emergency clothing up to $150 per fiscal year for emergency clothing
- Emergency clothing (extra in case of fire or theft) up to $100 per fiscal year
- Books/education up to $82.50 per school year for dependent children for books, supplies, course fees, physical education fees (pre-school through college, technical, vocation schools)
- Supplemental school tuition and fees up to $165 per session for summer sessions or interim session at year-round schools
- Graduation expenses maximum $220 for high school cap, gown, ring, yearbook or other fees
- Special needs allowance maximum $22.50 per year for expenses related to holidays, birthday and special occasions (Independent Living Subsidy youth not eligible)
- Passport allowance one-time reimbursement for a passport book or card (receipt required)