Volunteers and community involvement are vital to the work that we do at DCS. There are many ways to support foster families and children in our care.
- Take advantage of the Foster Care Tax Credit. Make a financial contribution to a Qualifying Foster Care Charitable Organization (QFCO), and receive credit on your Arizona State Tax Return. For more information, visit the Arizona Department of Revenue website: click here
- Donate money or material goods to one of DCS' partnering foster care organizations. You can also give monetary donations or material goods (beds, clothing, backpacks, etc.) to a nonprofit organization that supports foster care in Arizona. For help in finding an organization near you, email [email protected].
- Become a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA). CASAs are volunteers who provide support to neglected and abused children, and represent their best interests: http://www.azcourts.gov/casa.
- Join the Foster Care Review Board (FCRB). Advise the juvenile court on progress toward achieving a permanent home for a child in foster care: http://www.azcourts.gov/fcrb.
- Join a DCS Community Advisory Committee. In addition to our standing community advisory committee, DCS forms several committees with the purpose of gathering advisement for systemic improvements. These include our Birth Parent Advisory Board, a Youth Advisory Board and Citizen Review Panels. Please contact our advisory committee coordinator to learn more. [email protected]
- Volunteer at a Children's Heart Gallery Photo Shoot. Serve as a guide for children in need of loving, adoptive families. Or use your skills as a professional photographer or hairdresser. Go to childrensheartgallery.org and click "Contact Us."
- Volunteer at holiday, back-to-school, or other events for foster children and families. For a list of opportunities, email [email protected].
- Mentor or tutor a child in foster care. For more information, email [email protected].
- Involve your business, school, organization or faith-based community by collecting toys or supplies to support foster children and families. For ideas, email [email protected].
- Host or sponsor an event for foster families. If you own a business, you can sponsor an event or activity for one or more foster families. To connect with an opportunity near you, email [email protected], or visit the volunteer interest form page.
Open Your Home
- Invite a foster family over for dinner, or take them a meal. Help foster parents avoid burnout by offering your care and support.
- Become a foster or adoptive parent. Children in foster care need safe, loving homes. Find out what steps you need to take to become a foster or adoptive parent. click here
Not everyone is able to foster or adopt a child. Community members have sewn quilts for children, collected basic necessities, and provided memorable family outings. If you have an idea, or would like to find out what the needs are, please contact us by emailing [email protected].