If you are a licensed foster parent, R21-6-326 requires you to notify DCS and your licensing agency within 24 hours if any of the following incidents occur:
- Injury, illness, change of medication, or medication error that requires medical attention
- Theft of money or property belonging to a foster child
- Significant damage to the property of a foster child
- Injury to others or significant damage to the property of others caused by a foster child
- Using physical restraints to control a foster child’s sudden, out-of-control behavior
- Arrest of a household member or involvement of a household member with law enforcement that does not lead to an arrest
- Household changes that affect the foster parent’s ability to meet the foster child’s needs
- Life-threatening illness, injury, or the death of a household member
- Incidents involving a DCS report or investigation
If you are a licensed foster parent, R21-6-326 requires you to notify DCS and your licensing agency immediately if any of the following incidents occur:
- Death of a foster child
- Unexplained absence of a foster child
- Unauthorized removal or attempted removal of a foster child from the care and supervision of the foster parent
- A serious illness, injury, or mental health crisis of a foster child that requires hospitalization or emergency room treatment
- An allegation or the discovery of a sign of abuse or neglect of a foster child
- Arrest of a foster child or involvement of a foster child with law enforcement that does not lead to an arrest
- Fire or other situation requiring overnight evacuation of the home
- Incidents that involve or are likely to involve the media
- Any other unusual incident that seriously jeopardizes the health, safety, or well-being of a foster child
- Within 24 hours of any of the above noted incidents, licensed foster parents shall complete an Unusual Incident Report form and submit it to their licensing agency.
Unlicensed kinship foster parents are to notify DCS within 2 hours of the following: death of a child or hospitalization (medical or psychiatric), alleged abuse, or other emergency threatening the child’s placement.
Unlicensed kinship foster parents are to notify DCS within 48 hours if the child becomes seriously illness, death of a caregiver, change in family composition, or involvement with law enforcement.